4/12/2012

More Accepting

My, how I have become more accepting to the indiscretions of others.... especially if they are paying rent. When I moved to 229 in 1976 Cornbread Baca, the murderer, lived three doors down. He was followed in the 80's by the SkinHeads and their explosives, floating in a bathtub of water which the ATF guys said made them even more volatile. And, of course, throughout all this activity there are the drug dealers and shootings, houses filled with adolescents flexing their hormones, and a young boy who can't spend the night next door with his best friend because, "drug deals go bad and we wouldn't want you caught in any cross hairs". Part of the urban landscape.

About 12 years ago things started shifting. Slowly other people caught on to what the area was about and wanted to live here and lo and behold, it appears that we have ourselves a little gentrification going on. And these new people, they don't want their cars keyed or windows broken out or their mail getting stolen and before you know it, we kinda formed this little neighborhood 'we're-watching-you group' to keep an eye on indiscriminate behavior. We have picnics in the park, a 4th of July Block Party, and have met with Officer Heine from the PD instructing us on how to mitigate the crime. But we're easy .... Ralphie still squats in the back of the art yard and it's fine when people party in the ravine but ... head's up... we call the cops after 9:00 ... meaning we don't tolerate anyone anymore passing out and passing the night. We know where to draw the line around this neighborhood!
So, when a woman whom I have known since she was 13, asks me if I have any rentals available I say sure... just bought a new little house down the street. She's rented from me before so I know she is good for the rent and she tells me she is going to be living there with her boyfriend of two years and their three dogs. Great!
A family.

"Well... ya... but.. ummm... one thing you might want to know....he's on the SO List for something that happened 14 years ago when he was 23". Really? What kind of something?

Looking me straight in the eyes this girls says, "Attempted rape"....
Oooohhh well then, I better talk to him.... but immediately other concerns pop into my mind... do I tell the neighbors? my tenants? Is it their business? I am awash in confusion and indecision until I realize... this is a question for the NY Times Ethicist.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to obtain a great deal from this paragraph then you have to apply these methods to your won blog.


Stop by my web blog: bankruptcy florida

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home